Rodents can cause a major inconvenience in your household, and knowing what to look out for will ensure you are as prepared as possible for an infestation. We’ll go over how to identify common rodents in the area, signs of a rodent infestation, how to keep rodents out of your home, and what to do to get rid of them.
Common Rodents in Maine
You may be curious about the most common rodents in Maine to look out for, and we’re here to give you the information you need to be better informed. Make sure to be on the lookout for these critters, unless you love uninvited house guests.
- House Mice can appear to be anywhere from 5 ½ to 7 inches long and have gray fur with a cream-colored belly. Not only do these rodents pose a health risk, but they also breed rapidly. It is always best to act fast on these guys!
- Deer Mice can be identified by their length at 5 to 9 inches, as well as their brown and white fur. Keep your eyes peeled for tiny legs, and a multi-colored tail with a sharp contrast between the two hues.
- White-footed Mice can look very similar to deer mice, but don’t be fooled. Though these two are very similar in size and have features that resemble one another, a white-footed mouse will usually have larger hind legs and a multi-colored tail accompanied by a slight fade.
Signs of a Rodent Infestation
You may be able to identify common rodents in your area, but don’t consider yourself an expert just yet. You’ll need to know the tell-tale signs of a rat and mouse infestation first:
- Chew marks in food packaging and holes in your walls. Holes formed by mice are typically perfectly round and about the size of a penny.
- An odor that smells musty or rotten. You’ll start to notice this smell become stronger as the issue worsens.
- Droppings surrounding food packaging and those hiding in dark places. Think your pantry, under the sink, and in cabinets.
- Footprints might seem like an obvious one, but they can be easy to overlook in dark and forgotten places.
- Look out for noises inside your walls, and other hard-to-reach places, such as your attic and ceilings. You might hear squeaking, gnawing, scratching, or hissing.
What Attracts Rodents To Your Home
Just like humans, rodents seek warmth, shelter, and food. This is especially common during cold winter months, and your home can also be the ideal place for them to give birth. That’s probably not what you wanted to hear, right? As expert rodent exterminators, it is our responsibility to keep you well-informed and be your go-to when it comes to a rodent infestation.
How To Prevent Rodents From Entering Your Home
Now that you know the types of amenities that mice and rats are attracted to, we can help you make your home as uncomfortable as possible for these pests. Tips for preventing rodents from entering your home include:
- Make sure your garbage cans are sealed and leftovers are put away. Leaving out food is the perfect invitation for these scavengers. When storing your food, it is best to keep it in hard containers with tight lids.
- Closed access to all entry points. If a rat spots a hole in the wall, there isn’t much stopping them from entering your home. Check regularly for these holes, and seal them with a material that makes it difficult for them to chew through.
- We highly recommend traps as a cost-effective way to catch rodents around your home. You can purchase these online or in-store, with a variety to choose from. It is best to do your research to figure out which trap is right for you.
How To Get Rid of Mice
In order to get rid of mice, you can follow many of the tips above as preventative measures. If you are ready to take it a step further, act quickly and call us at 207-622-6600 the first sight of an infestation. It is crucial to evict these unwanted tenants as early as possible, and we’re ready with our rodent control services to help you take action.
Professional Rodent Exterminators
We are rodent experts located in Southern Maine with over 75 years of combined experience in pest control and will guide you through the process with professional advice, honesty, and action. Our services will leave you with peace of mind and a new connection in the exterminator business so that you always have a next step. We’d love to take a look around!